For students with an interest in the field but not enough time to complete the major, the minor in Psychology presents a brief yet comprehensive exploration.
The completion of a minimum of 35 units in Psychology is required for the minor. All courses counting toward the minor must be passed with a minimum letter grade of C- or better. Courses must be taken for a letter grade unless the course is only offered CR/NC. Students may not overlap (double-count) courses with a major or another degree, unless the overlapping courses constitute introductory skill requirements, such as PSYCH 10. Advanced Placement (AP) credit and Summer Quarter Psychology courses are not applicable toward the 35 units needed for the minor. Courses taken in spring quarter 2020 will count towards the minor with S or CR grades. This exception accommodates the University's policy to only offer courses on a Satisfactory / No Credit basis during the online-only quarter during the COVID-19 outbreak.
1. The following two introductory courses:
- Psych 1 Introduction to Psychology
- Psych 10 Introduction to Statistical Methods
2. Three of the following ten core courses, with a minimum of one from each area A and B:
Area A Courses:
- Psych 30 Introduction to Perception
- Psych 35 Minds and Machines
- Psych 45 Introduction to Learning and Memory
- Psych 50 Introduction to Cognitive Neuroscience
Area B Courses:
- Psych 60 Introduction to Developmental Psychology
- Psych 70 Introduction to Social Psychology
- Psych 75 Introduction to Cultural Psychology
- Psych 80 Introduction to Personality and Affective Science
- Psych 90 Introduction to Clinical Psychology
- Psych 95 Introduction to Abnormal Psychology
3. Elective Psychology courses, which must be at least three units each.*
There are four cognate courses from other departments that count as elective PSYCH courses: BIO 150, PEDS 106, PSYC 135, and PSYC 139. (Any other PSYC course is considered outside of the psychology department and cannot be applied to the minor.)
*Independent study, research, and practica (PSYCH 194, 195, and 281) do not count as electives and cannot be counted towards the minor.